Driver License

Many international students possess a driver license issued in their home country.

Here is some information how to exchange yours once you arrive.

Exchanging an Out-of-Country for a Maryland License

Please Bring to any of our local Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) offices:

Proof of age, identity, Maryland residence, Out-of-Country license(s), and the appropriate fee for what you apply. Please refer to Sources of Proof for required documentation.

  • You must pass a vision test, knowledge test, and driving test.
  • You will be required to disclose your social security number.
  • Applicants not eligible for a social security number will be required to provide a self-certification.
  • An Out-of-Country driving permit may be valid or expired. The license cannot be suspended.
  • If licensed for less than 18 months, you will be issued a Maryland Provisional License.
  • If you have never been licensed in the U.S., you must complete a 3-Hour Drug & Alcohol Education Program.
  • A valid U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) physical card or federal/MVA waiver (if applying for a Commercial Driver’s License) is needed.
  • An Out-of-Country driving permit may be required to be accompanied by an international driver’s license or translated into English by an approved MVA translator.
  • If you are from Out-of-Country, and have never held a driving permit, you must obtain a learner’s permit.

Out-of-Country Applicants: Applicants presenting foreign issued identity documents who are applying for their initial Maryland Learner’s Permit, Driver’s License, or Identification Card must schedule an appointment by calling 1-866-691-2778.  Appointments will be scheduled Monday through Friday at one of the following ten regional MVA offices:

driver license

 Teacher with student in a car during driving lessons.